Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Experiment Details (Anna Takahashi)

*Pink indicates session that lasted 20 minutes or more
*Blue indicates session that lasted less than 15 minutes

July 3 17:38

First day of meditation. Focused on visualizing the image of subject. Images were blurry and lucid, and often times jumping between multiple subjects.

July 4 16:52

Meditation was inturrupted by phone ring. I got up to stop the phone and sat back down. My concentration was scattered. I was distracted by hunger. Visualizing image was harder, but slightly easier than the previous day, since I had an idea (an image) that I was able to start from rather than conjure up from scratch.

----------------

July 5 19:02

Drowsiness and slight muscle pain was distracting. Focused on visualization and the joyful sensation I felt from the images. Also, I was trying to breathe in a stable rythm to take my attention away from the slight muscle pain I was feeling.
*An important wish came true.

July 6 23:47

I took time to prepare my rythm of breathing and relaxed my body before entering meditation. It was easier to visualize and stay in a positive mind-state. I felt content after the meditation and felt that it was crucial for me to prepare my body and breathing before entering a session.

July 7 23:20

I got up early to meditate. Despite the drowsiness, I was able to alter my mood into peacefulness by taking time to breathe and appreciate the morning sunlight and fresh air. Similar to the previous day, I was able to concentrate my attention on my visualizations. I got out of the meditation, refreshed and content.

July 8 22:46

I started out by focusing on breathing. It was easier to focus on visualization since I am starting to have a stable image of what I wish for. Breathing is a good guide to hold my concentration.

July 9 15:01

Painting workshop day. Slept at around 3 a.m. yesterday and got up a little late, but tried meditating for the amount of time I had. I was slightly distracted by the amount of time passed, since I was conscious of the clock. As predicted, session did not work well. I must consider taking a time off from the sessions on Sculpture and Painting workshop days...

July 10 20:53

Started meditation in a very relaxed state. Felt peaceful during meditation. I focused on conjuring up further details of what I was visualizing. I was becoming more accustomed to focusing on the images and the positive emotions. I was becoming more confident about the meditation and my ability to endure the sessions. My initial skepticism had disappeared and I felt that I had more faith in how the meditation was influencing my metality.

---------------- July 11-14th: Did not meditate due to assignment submission

July 15 21:19

Was anxious to how long I would be able to endure the meditation since it had been 5 days since the last one. Attention scattered for a while until my image focused. I had a hard time concentrating so I strained my focus until I felt relaxed and stable. Once I felt my mind relaxed and my breathing in harmony with my peaceful mindstate, I was able to focus on my visualization.
*A sign that my desired wish will soon actualize, manifested itself in a form of phone call.

July 16 24:49

I decided that I would take time off from my sessions on Painting workshop days, but I decided to meditate for the better. I was able to focus on meditation since I set an alarm clock for 30 minutes, so I would be notified if I spent too much time on my session. I got into total concentration for an enduring time. The music started to sound more blurred, as the focus on the image became more constant and stable. After the meditation I felt content and energetic.

July 17 25:42

Feeling of anticipation, positive emotions, full concentration on positive image. During the session I felt myself smiling naturally. I felt my body become lighter. I felt the warm sensation of the sunshine on my body and the feeling of becoming one with the light surrounding me. It was the first time I felt that I was actually in total concentration and even out of my body. It was as if my physicality evaporated into the light. The sensation was something profound.

July 18 26:36

Due to family issues, I dedicated my time to visualizing positive wishes for my family and relatives. My concentration lasted longer than any session. Time was not an issue during this session. I was once again feeling more of the sensation of becoming one with my breathing and the amibient light. I felt content and refreshed after I got out of the session.

----------------

July 19 24:10

I dedicated some time to say my gratitude and send good wishes to my family overseas. This started my session peacefully. I was able to breathe in a stable rythm and focus on my visualizations. I felt being in perfect harmony with my breathing and the ambient light.

July 20 21:27

Stabilized breathing and relaxed body before session. I was feeling in harmony with the ambient light. The light I felt on my eyelids became a point of focus whenever my attention started to wander. From there, I drove my attention back to breathing and then to my images. I felt peaceful after the session.

July 22 20:58

I once again used the outside lightsource as a point of reference. I was able to rely on the light less this time. I was more focused on my visualization. I felt refreshed and relaxed after the session.

July 24 22:21

Attention seemed to scatter. It was somehow hard to keep a stable concentration. I couldn't find a definite reason. I tried to concentrate on visualizing but I kept jumping from one subject to another. My images seemed more thin.

----------------

July 26 16:59

Attention seemed to scatter. It was somehow hard to keep a stable concentration. I couldn't find a definite reason. I tried to concentrate on visualizing but I kept jumping from one subject to another. My images seemed more thin.

July 27 19:13

I aimed to meditate longer than the previous day, but attention seemed to scatter. I was trying to stayed focused on my breathing, but it was hard to keep my breathing stable. I was going back and forth between visualizing and breathing. I endured the session longer than the day before, but I ended with a slight frustration.

July 29 20:17

Again, I aimed to meditate longer than the previous day. I was starting to feel doubt in my meditation session since I felt that I was aiming more towards prolonging the record of my sessions rather than focusing on the visualization of my goals. My focus was scattered and I was once again feeling irritated.

July 31 18:19

Attention was scattered. Body temperature was warm. Mood was not so content, felt a little bit irritated and pessimistic. I noticed the sensation is due to the time of the month, which is a week before my period.

Aug 1 18:33

Drowsiness, body temperature: warm, had some water and took a shower. Sunshine was starting to fill my room so I felt freshness, warmness and joyfulness. Was able to start meditation in a relaxed state. Taking time to prepare my mind by inhaling and exhaling and visualizing my subject. I was able to focus on my subject in a happy state.

----------------

Aug 2 14:25

Drowsiness and lack of sleep(went to sleep at around 3:30a.m.). Physical uncomfortableness in stomach.Could not concentrate. Felt irritated. Attention was scattering during meditation and it was hard to stay focused on my subject. Time felt stretched out. It was suffering to endure the usual timespan. So I decided to stop.

Aug 3 12:48

Was not feeling well in the stomach. My attention kept wandering to the sensation I felt in my stomach. I was also feeling my body temperature being slightly high and I was slightly perspiring. I decided to end the session after I felt content with stabilizing my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment